Sunday, October 23, 2011
Pohl: Physocalyx aurantiacus
This image by Johann Baptist Emanuel Pohl shows a plant which he has labeled Physocalyx aurantiacus. It is a plant he observed in Brazil. The name seems to be associated only with him; I cannot find other references to it.
A few facts about Johann Baptist Emanuel Pohl (1782-1834)
1. After studying in Prague to become a physician, he worked in military hospitals.
2. He became interested in botany when he was young; his uncle was a keen amateur botanist.
3. In 1817 he was one of the people to travel with Maria Leopoldina of Austria for her marriage to Dom Pedro in Brazil.
4. He participated in the Austrian Brazil Expedition (1817-35; Pohl was present during 1817-21), initially as a geologist and later as botanist.
5. He collected more than 4000 plant specimens.