Wednesday, October 5, 2011
Joseph Prestele: Red Astrachan Apple
Joseph Prestele's lithograph of the Red Astrachan Apple appeared in Transactions, a publication of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, 1849. This piece seems to presage the prodigious amount of work that Prestele was to do for nursery catalogs.
A few facts about Joseph Prestele
A few facts about the Red Astrachan Apple
1. This apple also flies under the names of Abe Lincoln, Red Ashmore, and American Red.
2. It is thought to be of Russian origin.
3. It was imported from Sweden to England in 1816.
4. Its flavor is tart, which makes it a favorite for pies.
5. Eat up! The Red Astrachan lasts only a few weeks in storage.