Wednesday, June 8, 2011
John Edwards: Althaea frutex
What English painter John Edwards identified as Althaea frutex is now known as Hibiscus syriacus. Edwards included this illustration in his 1801 work, A Collection of Flowers Drawn after Nature.
A few facts about Hibiscus syriacus
1. Its individual flowers last only for a day.
2. It is the only hardy hibiscus.
3. The shrub is native to China and India.
4. It is the national flower of Korea; the national anthem of Korea compares the country to the flower.
5. In Connecticut the shrub seems to have an invasive tendency.